Holidays are coming soon, and if you want to treat yourself and your family with a delicious cornbread made with sourdough discard, you will find the recipe below helpful.
Sourdough sponge from discard
- 1/2 cup sourdough discard
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- All sponge
- 1 cup of corn flour
- 1 egg
- 5 tbs sugar
- 40g melted butter or oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pickled Jalapeño peppers, sliced (optional)
- Mix sourdough discard, flour, milk and buttermilk, cover, let it ferment till next morning (12 hours).
- Your sponge should become bubbly.
- Add an egg, melted butter or oil and mix.
- Then add all the dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar, baking soda. The batter will bubble.
- Mix with spoon, so there are no lumps.
- Add sliced pickled jalapeño peppers (optional).
- Cover, let it rest 10 minutes.
- Line your 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and pour the batter inside. I used two 8×4 inch dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake cornbread for 30-35 min, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve your sourdough cornbread warm 🙏
7 thoughts on “Sourdough Cornbread”
Hello natasha, question.
Under dough one of the ingredients is “all sponge” is this a type of flour you used, not sure. Thanks
Above the main dough ingredients you can find how yo make a sponge 🙏
Hi, what type of corn meal did you use? Or did you use corn four? My corn flour is white not yellow.
Hi! I used cornmeal flour. ( it was grainy and yellow)
Obrigada por sua gentileza em compartilhar conosco suas maravilhosas receitas! Thank you so much 😊🌸💕🙏🏻
I just made this and I loved the process and texture. But I find that the end product tastes too sour. Is there a way to do a sweet sponge that’ll cover that sourdough taste? I love the taste of sourdough but not in this. Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback, sorry it came out sour.
Maybe your starter is more acidic. Then next time increase the amount of baking soda. It should help.