Holidays are coming soon, and if you want to treat yourself and your family with a delicious cornbread made with sourdough discard, you will find the recipe below helpful.
Sourdough sponge from discard
- 1/2 cup sourdough discard
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- All sponge
- 1 cup of corn flour
- 1 egg
- 5 tbs sugar
- 40g melted butter or oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pickled Jalapeño peppers, sliced (optional)
- Mix sourdough discard, flour, milk and buttermilk, cover, let it ferment till next morning (12 hours).
- Your sponge should become bubbly.
- Add an egg, melted butter or oil and mix.
- Then add all the dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar, baking soda. The batter will bubble.
- Mix with spoon, so there are no lumps.
- Add sliced pickled jalapeño peppers (optional).
- Cover, let it rest 10 minutes.
- Line your 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and pour the batter inside. I used two 8×4 inch dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake cornbread for 30-35 min, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve your sourdough cornbread warm 🙏