These sweet milk sourdough rolls deserve your attention.
Made with sweet stiff starter, they are soft as silk, pleasantly sweet, and stay fresh for 3+ days.
If you follow the proofing schedule that I recommend, you’ll have freshly baked rolls for breakfast 😊
|Ready in: |
12 x 47g Rolls
Sweet Stiff Sourdough Starter
- 8 g sourdough starter
- 30 g water
- 60 g bread flour
- 5g sugar
- 250 g bread flour (100%)
- 75 g milk
- 50 g condensed milk
- 75 g sweet stiff starter
- 1 large egg
- 20 g sugar
- 50 g soft butter
- 5 g salt (2%)
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 10 pm dissolve sugar in the water, add starter and whisk together, add flour, mix well, form a ball, place in jar, cover let sit at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume in 2 or more times.
- Stiff sweet starter will have lower hydration then regular liquid starter and will help us to lower the acidity of final product (learn how to make sourdough starter from scratch here).
- 8 am in a bowl of stand mixer add milk, condensed milk, an egg, sugar, stiff sourdough starter (75 g) to the flour and let autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball.
- Add soft butter, increase the speed of mixer, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together. You will be able to perform windowpane test.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for 6-9 hours.
- 10 pm Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide on 12 equal pieces (about 47-50g each
- Pinch all edges to the bottom of a roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped rolls into the square baking pan.
- Cover rolls and let them proof overnight for 8 -10 hours 70-74F /20-23C until they double in volume.
- 7 am Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Sprinkle some flour on top of rolls or egg wash them.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy your sweet milk sourdough rolls 🙌
29 thoughts on “Sweet Milk Sourdough Rolls”
I can change the flour to whole wheat flour ?
Yes, but it might take little more milk 10-30g
What could I use instead of sweet condensed milk please?
You can use regular milk instead 🙏
Hi. Can I make it without egg? I dont eat eggs…
Use regular milk instead 🙏
What’s an alternative of sweet condensed milk?
This recipe is also perfect!
Thank you so much for sharing 🤗
Erica, thank you for your kind feedback 🙏
This looks delicious! Can I use a plant based milk instead of regular milk?
Thank you. Yes! Absolutely 🙏
Hi Natasha, when you say increase the speed, what’s ideal in kitchenaid? Is it harmful for the mixer to increase it to max. while doing sourdough loaf and batters with butter? Hope you can help!! Thanks 🙂
I would say speed 5-6 for KitchenAid.
Thank you 🙏
I just made this with the following changes: omitted the yeast and I used evaporated milk instead of condensed milk. 30 minutes of baking was a little too much in my oven, but regardless, these rolls came out absolutely delicious. This recipe is a keeper! Thanks for sharing.
So happy you liked them, and thank you for your updates, evaporated milk sounds delicious 😋
An amazing recipe for sure! Tasted really good and soft. Everyone loved it. Thank you so much for this recipe 😍
Thank you so much for your feedback. Means a lot to me🙏
Perhaps this is silly question but If I use my bare hands only (have no mixer yet) do you think this type of baking can be successful 😅?
You can succeed , if you’ll mix the dough for longer time. Use slap and fold method
Yes definitely slap and fold would be sufficient . It’ll take longer and patience is needed. But definitely a challange because this recipe is just super delicious. I have baked it a couple of times after my first bake and everyone loved it 😍. My mother especially. My son, My friends and neighbors.. Thank youu so much for this recipe
Zack, thank you!
Keep baking and you’ll be amazed with results 🙏
What about using this for cinnamon roll dough? In the middle of making it right now. Very slow in rising, although I have a very strong starter and had just fed it a couple of days ago.
It will be delicious 🙏
Omy! Wonderful rolls to have hot for breakfast! They actually didn’t taste that sweet, which was fine. I did not use the yeast, so maybe that is why it was slow. I also didn’t put it in the refrigerator. I formed them last night, they were beautiful and doubled this morning. So soft and pillowy! Used them for tuna sandwiches for lunch. A new go-to roll recipe for my starter! Haven’t used yeast for over a year! Wish I could attach a picture.
Barbara, thank you so much for your feedback!
Really glad you liked the rolls.
Finally made the dough for cinnamon rolls. Omy, they are wonderful. I did use all of the starter. I also used a different schedule. I got to thinking about the starter, it reminds me of bread making with tangzhong. Would love to send you a picture of them!
Thank you so much for your feedback!
Please send the pictures to my Instagram 🙏
Will do! I actually quadrupled the recipe, because we had family coming to stay for a few days.
Made this recipe again and made them as cardamom knots, which I put into silicone cupcake holders. Yummy! Love working with sourdough, it is like magic. I especially like using your stiff sweet starter.