My kids prefer soft white sandwich bread for their school-lunch. And they usually get super excited if the loaf looks like the toast bread sold at the store.
For this particular recipe, I needed to practice a little, before figuring out how much dough to put in my small Pullman loaf pan. The one I use has the following dimensions: 10.5cm x 19.5cm x 10 cm / 8.5X4.75X4.375 in.
Here is the formula which fits this loaf pan exactly.
- 360g bread flour (100%)
- 216g milk (60%)
- 36g sugar (10%)
- 54g soft butter (15%)
- 60g starter (16%)
- 6g salt (2%)
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 10 pm add starter to the water and whisk together, add flour, mix well, cover loosely, let it sit at a room temp 74-78F for about 8-10 hours until starter reaches its peak (at least triples in volume).
- 8 am mix milk, sugar, sourdough starter (60g on its peak, the rest use for future feedings), all the flour, let it autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse process the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt, mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should come up together.
- Add soft butter, mix for 10-15 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together.
- Perform a windowpane test. Wet your hands and stretch the dough. You should be able to stretch it very thin, that’s a sign of a well developed gluten, and that your final product will have a soft and light structure.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F / 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for 6-8 hours
- 9 or 10 pm Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Shape as desired. I rolled it into a long roll same length as a baking loaf pan.
- Transfer the shaped loaf into a loaf pan.
- Cover the dough and let it proof overnight on the counter at 70-72F / 19-20C until next morning. It should at least double.
- If you prefer to have square edges, close the lid of your Pullman loaf, or you can bake it without lid to get more open top.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy your white sandwich loaf 🙏