You won’t believe how good this naan bread is. Seriously addicting.
With any type of grilled meat or for vegetarian meal, with hummus and some spicy sauce.
You’ll love it.
I regret I didn’t make double batch, because reheated small naans preserve their original taste and freshness really well!
- 100g lukewarm water
- 100g Greek yogurt
- 150g sourdough discard
- 12g salt
- 45g sugar
- 1 egg
- 535g all purpose flour
- 50g whole wheat flour
- 50g melted butter
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
Naan Dough Preparation
- Whisk together water, yogurt, sourdough discard, egg, sugar, salt and add flour.
- Knead the dough for couple of minutes, or use mixer, until the dough comes up together, and becomes smooth. You can adjust the dough by adding more flour if it’s sticky, or by adding more water if it’s too stiff.
- Cover, let it proof at 80-84F for 2-3 hours.
- Perform 2 folds during proofing time.
- By the end of proofing, the dough will become slightly puffy, and will be covered with tiny bubbles.
- Dump the dough on slightly floured surface.
- For small naan, divide the dough on pieces, 30g each, round them.
- For bigger naan, divide the dough on 60-70g pieces, round them.
- Cover with towel or plastic and let rest 30 min.
- Meanwhile, melt butter.
- Mince garlic.
- Mix garlic with melted butter.
- Preheat frying pan.
- Roll each piece of dough into a thin circle.
- Put the dough on the hot pan.
- Let it bake for 2-3 min on medium heat.
- Flip the naans over on the other side. Let them bake for 2 more minutes, until you see brown spots all over. Using a brush, spread the garlic butter on each side of each naan.
- Remove baked naans on a plate.
Note: keep warm naans covered with another plate or plastic wrap while you finishing baking the rest. Steam will make them very soft.
Naan Bread with Sourdough Discard
Based on 17 Review(s)
35 thoughts on “Naan Bread with Sourdough Discard”
It’s very good 💖
Thank you so much for nan recipe🙏 I’ll use this dough for khachapuri don’t I?
Greetings from TR🙋♂️🇹🇷
Perfect.Can we eliminate sugar or egg from the recipe?
You can make it without egg and sugar, then it will turn into a delicious pita
Is that the correct amount of AP flour? 585 g? I ended up with a very dry dough and added more water to get the same dough consistency as your photo. ;). Just rolled them out but fearing its not correct because I ended up with about 12 rolls! lol. Thank you in advance!
Hi! Sorry that something went wrong
I did this recipe many times, always following the same ingredients.
Did you add yogurt?
Yes, I did, the only thing I did was omit the sugar. I’m guessing my starter was thicker than usual, and the greek yogurt I used was thick too. But, happy to report they came out great! Very DELICIOUS! Always love ALL your recipes!
Susan! Thank you so much for your feedback 💖
Great recipe. I left half of the dough at room temp ( my kitchen is quite cool) and then rolled them. Very thinly. Came out like a restaurant naan.
Glad you liked it 🙏
I am planning to make these, but calculating the hydration that would be <50% , unless my math is off.
I counted the yogurt and the egg fully as water, and I assumed 100% hydration for the sourdough.
I've never made <50% hydration dough… so I wonder if there's perhaps a mistake in the water weight?
It will be a stiffer dough. You’ll have to be able to roll it.
Just made this today, came out perfect! My dough was a bit dry, maybe because my eggs are a bit smaller. I just added water. A great hit with the family. Thank you Natasha!
Stephanie, thank you so much for your kind feedback 🙏
Hi Natalya, is it possible to store in freezer after making?
Make sure you squeeze all the air from the bag 🙏
Loved the naan- no more store bought naan for me!
Thank you for your feedback 💖
I made nan last night and the dough was perfect 👍🏼
Thanks for the delicious recipes 🍓
Thank you for your feedback 💖
Our family loves this recipe!!! I subbed the yogurt for milk one day and it came out fine!
Thank you 🙏
This recipe is my third one that I baked from your site and this Naan is also PERFECTLY DELICIOUS, all the family were very pleased with them. Thank you very much.
Thank you so much for your kind feedback 🙏
Hi. At which point do you spread the garlic butter over the naans?
After the side was baked, then spread the garlic butter, when second side is done, spread butter on it too
Can I freeze them?
Sure, they freeze great.
Can I make these without sourdough starter? Do I need to replace it with something? Or tweek other ingredients?
You can skip starter, and use 1% of yeast from total amount of flour.
Hi Natasha! can i bake it in the oven?
Yes you can
Do you oil the pan to fry this bread ?