Catholic Easter is right around the corner, and there is still time to make the most delicious sourdough hot cross buns for Easter brunch. Here is the recipe.
Sweet Stiff Sourdough Starter
- 8 g sourdough starter
- 30 g water
- 60 g bread flour
- 5g sugar
- 140g lukewarm water(46%)
- 1 egg
- 90g sweet stiff starter(30%)
- 60g brown sugar (20%)
- 300g bread flour (100%)
- 36g oil without flavor (12%)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spices
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 6g salt (2%)
- zest of 1 orange
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- half cup of white flour
- 6-7 tbs water
- 1 tbs apricot jam
- 2 tbs water
- 10 pm dissolve sugar in the water, add starter and whisk together, add flour, mix well, form a ball, place in jar, cover let sit at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume in 2 or more times.
- Stiff sweet starter will have lower hydration than regular liquid starter and will help us to lower the acidity of final product (learn how to make sourdough starter from scratch here).
- 8 am in a bowl of stand mixer mix lukewarm water, an egg, sugar, stiff sourdough starter, yeast (optional ) add flour, all spices and orange zest and let autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball.
- Add oil, increase the speed of mixer, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together. You will be able to perform windowpane test. at the end of mixing add raisins.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for 6-9 hours.
- 10 pm Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide on 12 equal pieces (about 55g each)
- Pinch all edges to the bottom of a roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped rolls into the square baking pan.
- Cover rolls and let them proof overnight on the counter for 8 -10 hours 70-74F /20-23C until they double in volume.
- 7 am Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare paste for crosses by mixing flour and water, use ziplock bag, put all paste inside the bag, close tightly, cut one corner of the bag.
- Pipe crosses on top of buns.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze by mixing apricot jam with water.
- When buns are ready, spread glaze on top of hot buns.
- Let them cool down.