If you need a quick solution for lunch, barbecue or any kind of meal, this quick pita bread baked on a stove is a perfect way to go. Ready in 2-3 hours.
For pita recipe made with sourdough starter, click here.
|Ready in: 2-3 hours||Serves: 4-6 people|
|Yield: 6 x 100g||Units: US, E|
- 200g lukewarm water
- 3g dry instant yeast
- 30g sugar or honey
- 310g bread flour
- 40g whole wheat flour
- 30g olive oil
- 6g salt
- 8 am mix lukewarm water, dry instant yeast and sugar (or honey) until dissolved add flour, olive oil, salt, mix all together, until no dry flour remained, cover, let rest 30 min for autolyse (during the autolyse stage the flour absorbs the water, becoming fully hydrated. This will activate gluten development). Dough will look sticky, but don’t worry it will come up together later.
- 8.30 am knead by hands or with your mixer for 5-7 min. Until dough will become smoother. Cover, let rest for 1 hour- 1 hour and 30 min at 76-84F/24-28C. During that time perform nice stretch and fold.
- 10 am dough should get twice bigger in volume.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour.
- Dump the dough on a work surface, divide in 6 equal pieces, round each piece and cover with dump kitchen towel. Let them rest for 15 min.
- Sprinkle each dough ball with flour and roll it into a rounds about 6-7 inches in diameter, with thickness about 0.25 inch.
- Preheat frying pan until very hot.
- Place pita on a hot pan, bake for about 1 min on medium high heat. Then flip it over on other side and bake for 1 more minute, until golden spots will appear all over the surface.
Stack all pitas on a plate and enjoy!