Holidays are approaching, and if you want to surprise your family and friends with these soft and flavorful sourdough pumpkin dinner rolls, you came to the right place!
Here is the recipe.
Sweet Stiff Sourdough Starter
- 8 g sourdough starter
- 30 g water
- 60 g bread flour
- 5g sugar
- 250 g bread flour (100%)
- 100 g pumpkin purée
- 30 g heavy whipping cream
- 75 g sweet stiff starter
- 1 large egg
- 30 g sugar
- 50 g soft butter
- 5 g salt (2%)
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 10 pm dissolve sugar in the water, add starter and whisk together, add flour, mix well, form a ball, place in a jar, cover and let it sit at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume in 2 or more times.
- Stiff sweet starter will have lower hydration then regular liquid starter and will help us to lower the acidity of final product (learn how to make sourdough starter from scratch here).
- 8 am in a mixer bowl add flour pumpkin purée, heavy whipping cream, an egg, sugar, stiff sourdough starter (75 g) and let autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse period flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt and mix it for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball.
- Add soft butter, increase the speed of mixer, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-26C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation until next morning.
- 7am take the dough out of the fridge.
- Divide into 9 equal pieces (about 60g each).
- Pinch the edges to the bottom of each roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped rolls into a square baking pan.
- Cover the rolls and let them proof for 3-4 hours, 76-80F/24-26C, until they double in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake for about 25-28 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter, while they are still hot.
Enjoy your sourdough pumpkin dinner rolls!