I made honey oatmeal sourdough sandwich loaf many times. And every time I am amazed by how it stays soft and fresh for days! It is great for sandwiches, toasts and PB&J’s.
Here is the recipe.
- 50g roller oats
- 200g hot boiling water
- 300g bread flour (100%)
- 55g water,
- 30g soft or melted butter(10%)
- 30g honey,(10%)
- all porridge or soaker (250g)
- 60g of levain (20%)
- 6g salt (2%)
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce the sourness)
- 10 pm add starter to the water and whisk together, add flour, mix well, cover loosely, let it sit at a room temp 74-78F for about 8-10 hours until starter reaches its peak (at least triples in volume).
- 10 pm boil water, pour the boiling water over the oats, cover it, let it soak until next morning.
- 8 am mix water, flour, honey, sourdough starter (60g on its peak, the rest use for future feedings), all the soaker, let it autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse process the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt, mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should come up together.
- Add soft butter, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together.
- Perform a windowpane test. Wet your hands and stretch the dough. You should be able to stretch it very thin, that’s a sign of a well
- developed gluten, and that your final product will have a soft and light structure.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation till next morning.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Shape as desired. I rolled it into a long roll same length as a baking/loaf pan.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of your loaf pan.
- Transfer the shaped loaf into the loaf pan.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for 5-6 hours at 76-80F /24-28C until it doubles in volume.
- Now, sprinkle some flour on top of your loaf.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy your honey oatmeal sourdough sandwich loaf 😉