If you want to try something new, this recipe is for you.
Super soft savory dinner rolls with addition of pesto and parmesan cheese will surprise you with decadent and unique flavor.
The recipe was adapted from talented Erin Clarkson @cloudykitchen
|Ready in: 30 hours||Serves: 10 people|
|Yield: 12 x 65g Rolls||Units: US, EU|
- 7g sourdough starter
- 35 g water
- 35 g bread flour
- 20g flour
- 120g milk
- 360 g bread flour
- 180 g milk
- 70 g sourdough starter
- 1 large egg
- 30 g sugar
- 70 g pesto
- 6 g salt
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 10 pm dissolve starter in the water, whisk together, add flour, mix well, cover and let it sit at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume in 2 or more times.
- Learn how to make sourdough starter from scratch here).
Tangzhong is a paste of flour cooked in water or milk which is used to improve the texture of bread, making it soft and fluffy.
10 pm Prepare tangzhong by mixing flour and milk, stir to combine.
Then cook the mixture over low heat until nice, thick pudding-like consistency .
Once the tangzhong is cooked, transfer it to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. This will prevent the top surface to drying up. Let cool off until next morning.
- 8 am in a bowl of stand mixer mix milk, an egg, sugar, sourdough starter (70 g), yeast (if using), pesto, salt, flour and tangzhong. Start mixing the dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Increase the speed of mixer, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together. You will be able to perform windowpane test.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 12 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for 6-9 hours.
- 9 pm Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide on 12 equal pieces (about 60-65g each
- Pinch all edges to the bottom of a roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped rolls into the baking pan 9×14 inches
- Cover rolls and let them proof overnight for 8 -10 hours 70-72F /20-21C until they double in volume.
- 7 am Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes until golden brown.
- Prepare the spread my mixing 1tsp of pesto with 2 tbs of olive oil.
- Brush hot rolls with pesto spread and garnish each with shredded Parmesan cheese.