Sweet mango sourdough is one of the best flavored sweet loaves I have ever made. Such a tender, airy texture with an incredible flavor – it melts in your mouth.
Try it and don’t thank me 😉
Stiff Sourdough starter
- 10g sourdough starter
- 30g water
- 60g bread flour
- 300g bread flour (100%)
- 150g fresh mango (50%)
- 100g condensed milk (33.3%)
- 1 large egg
- 30g soft butter (10%)
- 60g stiff starter (20%)
- 6g salt (2%)
- 0.5 g dry yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 10 pm add starter to the water and whisk together, add flour, mix well, form a ball, then roll it into tight roll, place in jar, cover with water, make sure it is covered with water, let sit at room temp 74-78F until it increases in size and starts to float on the top of the water.
- In about 8-10 hours the top of the starter will dry and the bottom will start to melt in water. We will need the center part of it.
- Keeping stiff starter in the water will help to reduce its acidity and sourness of final product (learn how to make starter from scratch here).
- 8 am cut fresh mango, add it to the food processor along with condensed milk and an egg. Purée it all together.
- Add fruit purée and stiff sourdough starter to the flour and let autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball.
- Add soft butter, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation till next morning.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Shape as desired. I used a glass loaf pan with dimensions 16.6×2.5×9.8 inches.
- You can divide the dough into 3 pieces, and braid it.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of your loaf pan.
- Transfer the shaped loaf into the loaf pan.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F /24-28C until it doubles in volume.
- Now, sprinkle some flour on top of your loaf or egg wash it.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.