This recipe is a great alternative to regular bagels but super soft and light. Turkish bagels are very fast and easy to make. They can be made with sourdough starter or commercial yeast.
- 100g water
- 100g milk
- 50g sugar
- 9g fresh yeast or 3g dry instant yeast
- 40g oil
- 350g bread flour
- 7g salt
- 6tsp soft butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbs milk
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 8 am mix water, milk, yeast, sugar, salt add flour and knead by hand until no dry lumps remained, cover, let rest 30 min for autolyse (during the autolyse stage the flour absorbs the water, becoming fully hydrated. This will activate gluten development).
- 8.30 am add oil, and knead by hand or In mixer, until well incorporated and dough will become elastic. Round the dough, cover and let proof for 1.5-2 hours until almost doubled in size.
- 10.30 am divide the dough on 6 equal pieces, round each piece as a ball.
- Cut the butter on 1 tsp squares.
- Spread some oil on work surface. Take one dough piece. With palms of your hands start to flatten the dough into a circle with diameter about 7-8 inches/20cm.
- Spread 1 tsp of soft butter all over the dough’s circle. Then roll into a tight roll.
- Repeat with leftover dough balls.
- Take the dough roll, start rolling the dough back and forth, slowly extending your hands towards the ends of the dough, elongating it and thinning the ends. ends of the dough, elongating it and thinning the ends. Repeat rolling until the rope is an even thickness from one end to the other and reaches the desired length. Overlap the ends, twisting them together. Put your hand through the hole in the center. Then use your palm to roll the dough back and forth where the ends overlap to seal them.
- Place Turkish bagels on a tray, covered with parchment paper.
- Let bagels proof for 30 min to 1 hour, until they will get bigger.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Meanwhile prepare the egg wash by mixing egg yolk and milk.
- Spread egg wash all over the top of each bagel, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 min until top will become golden brown.