This brioche dough is made with small amount of dry instant yeast, which makes the whole process go so much faster. It is a very versatile dough, it can be used for sweet rolls, buns or babka.
Brioche dough made with sourdough starter can be found here.
- 300g bread flour (100%)
- 150g eggs (50%) about 3 large
- 60g sugar (20%)
- 6g salt (2%)
- 150g soft butter (50%)
- 1.5 g dry yeast
- 27g cold water (9%)
- Zest of 1 orange (optional for more flavor)
- 125 g heavy cream
- 125 g milk
- 50 g egg yolk
- 50 g sugar
- 10 g corn starch
- 5 g plain flour
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 am in a bowl of mixer add cold water, yeast, sugar, eggs and whisk all together. Add flour, mix until no dry flour remains, cover and let autolyse for 1 hour.
- 9 am start mixing the dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt and mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball and seem kind of stiff.
- Add soft butter, mix for 10-15 more minutes on high speed until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together and will do popping sound during mixing.
Note: make sure the temperature of the dough won’t go higher than 82F/28C, otherwise gluten will start to break apart.
- Cover and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become puffy.
- 12pm -1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation until next day.
- Remove the dough from refrigerator.
- Divide the dough in 8 pieces, about 87g each.
- Cover baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll each piece of the dough into a ball. Place them on prepared baking tray.
- Cover and let it proof for 1-2 hours at 78-84F /24-27C until they doubles in volume.
- Meanwhile prepare the pastry cream by preheating milk and cream on low heat.
- In separate bowl combine yolks, sugar, flour and cornstarch, mix until no lumps remain.
- Temper yolk mixture with warm cream mixture, whisk, put it back to a low heat. Keep stirring constantly, until the cream will get thicker, add vanilla paste or vanilla bean.
- Let cool down.
- Preheat the oven 375F
- When brioche rolls doubled or more in volume, spread egg-wash all over each roll.
- Press with your fingers in the middle of each brioche roll, creating а dipper space in the middle.
- Fill dipper space with pastry cream and top with fresh berries.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top(optional).
- Bake at 375 for 10 min, lower temperature to 350F and continue baking for 10-12 min more until edges of each brioche will become golden brown.