Light as air, this cloud toast bread with stiff sourdough stater will be your to go recipe for school or work sandwiches.
I’m very happy to share the recipe which was adapted from talented baker Abby (@sour.lotti )
Sweet Stiff Sourdough Starter
- 25g sourdough starter
- 35g water
- 75g bread flour
- 10g sugar
- 250 g bread flour (100%)
- 100g sweet stiff starter
- 45g milk
- 50g heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 30g sugar
- 4g salt
- 25g soft unsalted butter
- 10 pm dissolve sugar in the water, add starter and whisk together, add flour, mix well, form a ball, place in jar, cover let ferment at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume in 2 or more times.
- Stiff sweet starter will have lower hydration than regular liquid starter and will help us to lower the acidity of final product (learn how to make sourdough starter from scratch here).
- 8 am in a bowl of stand mixer add milk, heavy cream, an egg, sugar, stiff sourdough starter (100g) ,and the flour, mix all together let autolyse for 30 min.
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 8.30 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball.
- Add soft butter, increase the speed of mixer, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together. You will be able to perform windowpane test.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become puffy.
- 1.30 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for about 6-9 hours.
- 10 pm Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide on 3 equal pieces
- Roll it in a 3 tight rolls.
- Transfer the shaped rolls into the baking pan.
- Cover the loaf and let it proof overnight for 8 -10 hours 65-72F /18-21C until it will double in volume.
- 7 am Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Sprinkle some flour on top of the loaf (optional)
- Bake the loaf for 25-30 min until golden brown.