Holidays are coming and If you want to surprise your friends and family with the most soft and delicious Hawaiian rolls, then this recipe is for you. Pineapple juice is one of the key ingredients here that adds authenticity and pleasant sweetness to this recipe.
Also, you will notice below that the serving size is higher than usual, so you have enough to share with your friends and family!
I suggest you use a very small amount of yeast (less then 1% of the total flour amount) to reduce sourness.
|Ready in: 36 hours||Serves: 15-18 people|
|Yield: 22 x 50g Rolls||Units: US, EU|
- 7 g sourdough starter
- 35g water
- 35 g bread flour
- 720g bread flour
- 240 g pineapple juice
- 120 g greek yogurt
- 90g melted unsalted butter
- 100g honey
- 60 g sourdough starter
- 2 large eggs
- 80 g sugar
- 14 g salt
- 2 g dry instant yeast (optional, to reduce sourness)
- 10 pm dissolve starter in the water, add flour, mix well, cover let sit at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume in 2 or more times.
- Learn how to make sourdough starter from scratch here).
- In a bowl or a pot mix together pineapple juice, greek yogurt, honey, and melted butter, heat until temperature will reach 115F.
- 8 am pour warm liquid into a bowl of stand mixer add sourdough starter, sugar, instant dry yeast, eggs and flour let autolyse for 1 hour.
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 9 am mix dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt mix for a couple more minutes. increase the speed of mixer, mix for 10 more minutes until the dough is well incorporated and comes up together. You will be able to perform windowpane test.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for 3-4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 1 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for 6-9 hours.
- 10 pm Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide on 24 equal pieces (about 50g each
- Pinch all edges to the bottom of a roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped rolls into the baking pan.
- Cover rolls and let them proof overnight for 8 -10 hours 70-74F /20-23C until they double in volume.
- 7 am Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 350F, continue baking until golden brown( about 15-18 min)
- Total baking time 25-28 min
- Remove Hawaiian rolls from the oven, spread melted butter over the rolls while they are still hot.
- Enjoy your Hawaiian rolls!