A new and delicious discovery with Italian roots – sourdough maritozzi. Super soft brioche style buns filled with sweetened whipped cream… I knew they were supposed to be delicious but I didn’t expect to such extent!
They just melt in your mouth, light and tender structure, with a touch of honey and orange zest plus sweet cream… mmm 😋
It’s something that you definitely have to try.
Sweet Stiff Sourdough Starter
- 320g bread flour (100%)
- 64g sweet stiff starter (20%)
- 153g milk (48%)
- 50g eggs (16%)
- 60g soft butter (19%)
- 30g sugar (9%)
- 15g honey (4%)
- 5g salt (1.6%)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 0.5g yeast (optional) to reduce sourness
Whipped Cream Filling
- 500g heavy whipping cream
- 200g sugar
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top.
- 10 pm add sugar and sourdough starter to the water, whisk together, add flour, mix well, form a ball, then roll it into a tight roll, place in a jar, cover, let ferment at room temp 74-78F until it increases in volume.
- In about 8-10 hours starter has to double or more in volume.
- 8 am mix starter, milk, eggs, flour, sugar, honey, (let it autolyse for 30minutes).
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This activates gluten development.
- 8.30 am mix the dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt and mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should come up together but still sticking to the bottom of the bowl.
- Add soft butter and orange zest, increase ratio the speed, mix for 10-15 minutes until the dough comes up together. If its not coming up together, feel free to add a little more flour (20-30g).
- 9 am cover and let it proof for 3- 4 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become slightly puffy.
- 12 pm transfer the dough to the fridge for cold fermentation for 8-10 hours.
- 9 pm remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide on 11-12 equal pieces (about 60-65g each.
- Pinch all edges to the bottom of a roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped maritozzi into the baking pan, lined with parchment paper
- Cover and let them proof overnight for 8 -10 hours 70-74F /20-23C until they double in volume.
- 7 am Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix an egg with 2 tbs of water, egg wash each roll.
- Bake for 25-350 minutes until golden brown.
- Let maritozzi to cool down, meanwhile prepare sweetened whipped cream by whipping heavy whipping cream with sugar until stiff peaks.
- Cut each bun in the middle, fill it with 2-3 tbs of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Note: not filled maritozzi buns can stay up to 3 days fresh. But filled maritozzi I suggest to eat right away.