I am very excited to share with you a super easy recipe of a puff pastry dough made with whole wheat flour that brings its flavor to the absolutely new level.
This whole wheat puff pastry dough could be used as a base for sweet or savory dishes.
The secret is in two ingredients: patience and a high quality whole wheat flour.
- Mix all the flour and salt. Add water.
- Cut cold butter in 1/2 inch square chunks.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Use paddle attachment to mix all together.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until it will come up together.
Note: butter chunks have to remain visible.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap. Move to refrigerator and let chill for 12 hours.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour, roll the dough as rectangular, 12×31inches/30x80cm.
- When rolling the dough, you will be able to see chunks of butter. Be patient, it’s normal.
- Repeat 2 more rounds of rolling the dough as rectangular 12×31 inches/30x80cm and folding the dough as a letter.
- Cover the dough and let rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Final rolling: Roll the dough in a rectangle with sides about 12×20 inches /30x50cm and thickness 5mm.
- Cut as desired (circles or squares for an individual serving or you can cut it as a big (8” or 9” inch base for your future meal). Move the dough in fridge for 1 hour. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake 375F for 15 min, lower temp to 350F and bake for 10 more minutes until puff pastry dough will become golden brown.