I was looking for the softest most delicious burger buns recipe for a long time and finally I’m 100% confident this is the best brioche burger buns recipe I’ve ever made and I am very happy to share it with you.
Below is an instant dry yeast version, if you are looking for a sourdough version, you can find here.
- 350g bread flour
- 125g lukewarm milk
- 125g lukewarm water
- 3 egg yolks
- 55g soft butter
- 60g sugar
- 7g salt
- 2g dry instant yeast
- 8 am mix water milk, add dry instant yeast and whisk until dissolved. Add egg yolks, flour, sugar, mix to hydrate all flour, let the dough autolyse for 30 minutes.
- During the autolyse period the flour becomes fully hydrated. This process activates gluten development.
- 8.30 am mix the dough on low speed of your mixing machine for 2-3 minutes, or KitchenAid on speed 3 for 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Add salt and mix for a couple more minutes. The dough should form a ball.
- Add soft butter, increase the speed, mix for 10-15 minutes until the dough comes up together. If its not coming up together, feel free to add a little more flour (10-20g).
- 9 am cover the dough and let it proof for 2-3 hours at 76-80F/ 24-28C.
- During that time perform 2 stretches and folds.
- The dough should become bigger and puffy.
- 12 pm sprinkle work surface with flour and dump proofed dough on it.
- Divide the dough into pieces about 65-70g each. You should get about 11 dough pieces.
- Pinch all edges of the dough piece to the bottom of a roll, try to round it tightly.
- Transfer the shaped buns on to a baking tray, lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. I was afraid the buns would spread a lot during baking, so I’ve created DIY foil shape holders (you can use silicone burger bread form). It will help to hold the shape better.
- Cover buns and let them proof for 1-2 hours 78-84F /26-28C, or until they double in volume.
- Bake at 375F for about 20-25 min until golden light brown.
Note: don’t let the buns get too dark, that’s an indicator of the dry crumb. The goal for them is to stay soft for a long time🙏